Deadline: TBD; typically December each year.
Chronos Vocal Ensemble is an ambitious nonprofessional choir based in the Edmonton area, and the Healey Willan Grand Prize Winner of the 2015 National Competition for Canadian Amateur Choirs. Founded in 2013, we perform an annual season of concerts in Edmonton and tour regularly in the surrounding area. The ensemble has released three recordings: Presenting Chronos Vocal Ensemble (2015), The Simplest Way: The Music of Trent Worthington (2016) and most recently Fresh (2018); each recording features new Canadian compositions for choir. Chronos performed at Podium 2016 (Edmonton) and 2018 (St. John’s); in March 2020 the choir undertook its first international tour, anchored by a performance at the Northwest Division Conference of the American Choral Directors Association in Spokane.
From the outset, Chronos Vocal Ensemble has championed Canadian music and supported the creation of new works through premieres, recordings, commissions, and our annual composition competition. Recent winners of our competition include Nicholas Ryan Kelly (2017), Paul Aitken (2018), and Stuart Beatch (2019). Detailed information on the next edition of the Chronos Vocal Ensemble Choral Composition Competition will be available at a later date; general information is below.
Prizes for the competition have been generously provided by an anonymous supporter.
● Composer must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or landed immigrant.
● The work submitted must be original, not an arrangement of a pre-existing work or melody.
● The composition must not have been commissioned, published, performed or recorded at the time of entry, and must remain so until premiered by Chronos Vocal Ensemble within the following year.
● The winning composition will be performed by Chronos Vocal Ensemble in the season of entry. Winners will receive a recording of the performance.
● Prize of $1500 will be awarded.
● Chronos Vocal Ensemble will champion the winning composition and promote the work further as warranted.
● For a competition winner interested in attending the premiere, Chronos Music Society may be able to contribute to costs.