Update December 29: Deadline extended to January 11, 2021.
Chronos Vocal Ensemble is an ambitious nonprofessional choir based in the Edmonton area. Founded in 2013, we deliver compelling and high-calibre choral performances in Edmonton and beyond.
From its outset, Chronos Vocal Ensemble has championed Canadian music and supported the creation of new works through premieres, recordings, commissions (see New Music Projects), and our annual composition competition, held since 2017.
For this edition of the competition we are seeking a composition that will feel timely and relevant for performance in spring 2021 but which will also be meaningful beyond the short term. We also prefer to select a winning entry that will provide for flexibility in the means of rehearsing and producing a premiere performance if necessary. This may mean limited in-person rehearsal, a premiere in virtual-choir style, or with a reduced number of singers.
Prizes for the competition have been generously provided by an anonymous supporter.
- Composer must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or landed immigrant.
- The work submitted must be original, rather than an arrangement of a pre-existing work or melody.
- The composition must not have been commissioned, published, performed or recorded at the time of entry, and must remain so until premiered by Chronos Vocal Ensemble within the following year.
- The winning composition will be premiered by Chronos Vocal Ensemble in 2021 in live or recorded format. The composer will receive a recording of the performance.
- A prize of $1500 will be awarded.
- Chronos Vocal Ensemble will champion the winning composition and promote the work further as warranted.